Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The commies took good radio off the air

http://www.classic99.com/

I remember it well - a TV spot that showed a man speaking earnestly, in a Slavic-sounding language, into a desk microphone, until somebody slapped a gag on his mouth, and either the screen went to black or the scene froze and a man's voice intoned, "Radio Free Europe, fighting censorship!"

Now ... it's 6 July 2010, and the censors who will shut down Classic 99 radio in my adopted home town and on the internet are the bumbling bureaucrats of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, my church since birth. 

As I understand it, that includes people who 'ain't no theologians' also ain't no fans of high-falutin' music and culture and jazz and showtunes and a community arts calendar and announcers who explained the music or gave interesting bits of insight into it.

As I understand it, there were fellow travelers in people who are so 'Christ-centered' they couldn't stand anything that was only 'Christ-congruent' to take up any resources at all.

And then, of course, there were the people who will see to it that they, personally, profit from a sale of a powerful FM signal to ... who?

To a "Christian" station that's about as Christ-centered as Benny Hinn.  Be your best! Prove your worth!  Follow Jesus and let us know how well you're doing!  God is mah boyfriend kinda music and programming. Ee-ha.

OK ... the morning dj encouraged us not to be bitter.  I'm not ... really.  But I'm also resigning my membership in the congregation that's affiliated with the LC-MS.  I will always be Lutheran, but I won't be affiliated with anything Lutheran.  Put not your faith in labels.

The world is round, and what goes around comes back.  There's an HD classics station in town.  I may buy an HD radio for the house after I listen to it, online.  I haven't listened to it, yet.  That would be like going on a date with husband-to-be #2 while husband #1 is on his deathbed.  Plenty of time to tune in, tomorrow.  Literally.

Things change. Nothing lasts forever, not even the earth and sky, according to Scripture.  Already I've bookmarked local pages of the groups and venues I used to hear about on 99.  Already I've gotten off my duff and bought a ticket to an actual performance, rather than listen while I putter or draw at home.

And the guy who counseled against anger and bitterness told us about his Facebook page, and now I'm FBfriends with him and other 99 veterans.

Life goes on.

It will be so, so darkly quiet without 99.

So fill to me the parting glass.  Goodnight, and true joy be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment